Monday, June 28, 2010

What are you Outsourcing ?

Today I tried to teach my 6 year old son about outsourcing and here is the scenario around a deal I made with him.

He gets an allowance of 5 dollars a week in an effort to teach him about the value of money and how to save for the things he wants. It's his money to spend as he wishes and he is not parting with any of it as of yet. He wants to get a really expensive Star Wars LEGO set and it has to come from his own doing. I also want him to learn to tie his shoe, but just don't have those patients for teaching.

The deal is that if he learns how to tie his shoes and does so for a week on his own then I will take him to the LEGO store and get him whatever one thing he wants except the Millennium Falcon or the Death star.

I told him to offer his camp counselor 20 bucks if he could teach him how to tie his shoes and if he could learn how to do it, I would take him to the LEGO store. His eyes lit up and I am sure it will be the first thing he asks next week when he goes to camp.

Wins:
  • Matthew saves about 50-100 bucks of his money and gets the toy he wanted.
  • I save the few patients I have.
  • The counselor makes 20 extra bucks.
  • The economy is that much stronger.
  • Matthew will be so proud of what he learned.
  • No more tying shoes for me.

I can hear the naysayers already, but the point is that outsourcing the small stuff can be cheap and easy and the end results can be far better off than if you did the yourselves. Think about all the time you can save to tackle some of the Big Dreams in your life. Don't sweat the small stuff, stay focused of the Big Dreams and all of it is possible.

Thinking about outsourcing? Try Odesk or Elance.

Peace out.

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment